Page 6 of 6
Page 6: St Johns Church, Synagogue, Tower, Town Hall, Walkers Hill Farmhouse, War Memorial, White Tower, Winter Gardens.
Page 1 - Bispham Parish Church, Blowing Sands, Cabin Lift, Cemetary Chapel, Elmslie School, Fishers Lane. Click here
Page 2: Grand Theatre, Holy Trinity Church, Imperial Hotel, King Edward Cinema(former). Click here
Page 3: Kiosks in Abingdon Street, Kiosks in Talbot Square, Lady of Lourdes, Library and Art Gallery, Marton Mill. Click here
Page 4: Miners Convelescent Home, New Clifton Hotel, North Pier, North Shore Shelters, North Shore Methodist Chapel, Odeon Cinema.
Page 5: Old Grammar School, Post Office, Raikes Hall, Regent, Sacred Heart Church, South Shore Promenade Shelters, sundial. Click here
Grade 2 - Listed 20.10.1983
This parish church of Blackpool, replacing a smaller 1821 church on the site, was designed by Garlick Park and Sykes and completed in 1878.
Built in stone in an Early English style, it includes a nave with low aisles, tall transepts, a semi-circular chancel with painted ceiling and a four storey southwest tower with pinnacles. A nave arcade of cylindrical columns supports a wagon roof, and the tall windows have plate-traceried stained glass.
The chancel screen and panelling are in a Gothic style, and the pulpit has a dome of intricate open-work.
Grade 2 -- Listed 27.8.98
Erected 1916-1926 with additions and alterations in 1955 and 1976, including range to right. Architect, Alderman RB Mather, JP. Red brick with ashlar dressings, pantile and lead roofs.
Main range: the gable end is to the front and has round-arched, coped, low parapet behind which rises a small octagonal dome.
Built in Byzantine style the main range is single storey, articulated externally as two storeys, three bays, with two storey entrance range to right. Full height pilaster strips off-set to angles, with pilaster strips between upper stage windows which rise from central lower-stage breakforward and with continuous chequer-board band between stages.
Windows: upper stage has outer round-arched windows in quoined surrounds with voussoirs to head and keystones; central three -light mullion and transom windows, the upper lights are circular, in straight-headed surround with frieze and cornice; plaque above. Lower stage: outer three-light windows; three central blind openings to breakforward.
Further range to right with central entrance: double glazed doors, and with casement windows to upper stage. Left return: seven bays originally, with three bay extension.
Similar pilaster strips to five bays and windows to six bays: mainly round-arched thermal windows with keystones to upper stage, those two to left are straight-headed, three light windows then a simplified Venetian window with arch over and cornice; otherwise casements.
To lower stage are two- and three-light straight-headed windows each with frieze and cornice. Entrance to end bay of original range: double doors. Glass:good stained glass throughout with scenes from the Torah.
Grade One - Listed 10.10.1973
Built on the site of Dr. Cocker's Aquarium, one of the first entertainments in Blackpool, this imitation of the Eiffel Tower is surrounded by a brick-faced entertainment complex. It was built between 1891 and 1894 by contractors Heenan and Froude to the designs of architects Maxwell and Tuke and engineer R.J.G. Reade.
a) TOWER: Built in open steel girders, the Tower tapers from 100 feet wide at the base to 30 feet under the main gallery. One glassed and three open galleries are surmounted by an open girder cap and a flag-mast --the top is 518 feet 9 inches from the ground.
b) BALLROOM: Decorated in the exuberant lavish style of the Paris Opera by Frank Matcham, the ballroom was destroyed by fire in 1956 but was restored to its original form by Andrew Mazzei.
Rising from the first floor level the ballroom has galleries on two levels on the north, west and south sides, and a curved and moulded proscenium on the east. Mouldings and painted panels on the columns display the names of famous composers.
The vaulted ceiling features Baroque paintings and an oval skylight.
c) CIRCUS: Set at basement level between the legs of the Tower, the circus is decorated (probably by Frank Matcham) in an Islamic style. It features multiple and interlaced arches, fretted windows, stylised scallops and patterned tiles.
d) ROOF GARDENS: Now a children's play area, the glass roofs are supported on slim columns with stiff-leaf capitals and semi-circular roof braces with arabesque open work.
Grade 2 Listed 11.01.1974
By Potts Son and Hemming in brick and stone dressing, the Town Hall was built between1895 and 1900 in a Jacobean style.
The symmetrical front features a central two storey stone entrance porch, with Tuscan pillars at ground level and Ionic above. From this rises a clock tower with stone belfry and balustrade with finials, originally surmounted by a tall spire.
The Council Chamber, set above shops, and the Market Street facade, is lit by tall windows and features a steeply pitched roof surmounted by a belfry.
The Corporation Street elevation has a secondary entrance surmounted by a stone turret and a tall traceried first floor window with a decorated shaped stone gable. Stonework and clock restored 1985/86.
The interior has coffered ceilings, mosaic floors, marble walls, stained glass windows and a fine staircase with ornamental iron balustrade.
Information to follow.
Grade 2* - Listed Grade 2 on 20.10.1983, upgraded to Grade 2* 9th June 2017
Built in 1923, this tall obelisk of white granite ashlar is decorated with bronze relief panels showing stylised scenes of warfare, and set on a raised platform. The upgrade was due to the high-quality bronze sculptural plaques by Gilbert Ledward, a rare example of women on a war memorial and an extremely rare depiction of a fallen German combatant.
The Casino (former), Blackpool Pleasure Beach.
Grade 2 - Listed 23.11.2001
Former casino building built 1937-40, designed by Joseph Emberton for Leonard Thompson. Restored and altered 1972, 1977-9 by Keith Ingham. Reinforced Concrete in the International Modern style.
Grade 2* - Listed 26.01.1972
The Statutory Listed Buildings below are parts of an entertainments complex bounded by Church Street, Leopold Grove, Adelaide Street and Coronation Street, and incorporating elements built variously between 1875 and 1939.
a) Vestibule (1875-8): Six piers with paired Corinthian pilasters on a circular plan support a 120 feet high glazed dome designed by Thomas Mitchell and intended to catch the eye of trippers on Talbot Road.
b) Floral Hall (1875-8): This hall, with glazed roof supported on decorated girders, has pilasters and panels in blue and ochre tiling on the east wall.
c) Ambulatory (1875-8): Originally a U-shaped promenade opening onto the Pavilion, this features Corinthian columns and tiled panels.
D) Pavilion Theatre (1878): Built as a promenade pavilion this hall was converted to a theatre in 1889, and reconstructed in 1897.
The auditorium with two U-shaped balconies has a square proscenium opening with double-tiered boxes and gilded and painted rococo decoration.
Stage converted to Palm Court Restaurant 1986.
e) Empress Ballroom (1896): Hall 189 feet by 110 feet designed by Manghall and Littlewood of Manchester, and decorated by J.M.Boekbinder.
The ceiling is decoratively treated as a square-coffered vault with relief patterned panels in gold and white, from which hang twelve glass chandeliers. Columns form a colonnade to the surrounding promenade, and there is a decorated balcony on threesides.
f) Galleon Bar (1931): Lavishly decorated representation of a galleon's lower deck, by Andrew Mazzei.
g) Baronial Hall (1931): Jacobean hall with plaster imitation of a hammer-beam roof, a stone fireplace and carved door-cases.
h) Spanish Hall (1931): Large vaulted hall with battlemented balconies containing three-dimensional representations of clustered Spanish villages.
A balustraded balcony at the east end features a relief arcade revealing a rural landscape.