Listed buildings in Blackpool
Page 2 of 6
Contents of Page 2: Grand Theatre, Holy Trinity Church, Imperial Hotel, King Edward Cinema(former).
Page 1 - Bispham Parish Church, Blowing Sands, Cabin Lift, Cemetary Chapel, Elmslie School, Fishers Lane. Click here
Page 3: Kiosks in Abingdon Street, Kiosks in Talbot Square, Lady of Lourdes, Library and Art Gallery, Marton Mill. Click here
Page 4: Miners Convelescent Home, New Clifton Hotel, North Pier, North Shore Shelters, North Shore Methodist Chapel, Odeon Cinema. Click here
Page 5: Old Grammar School, Post Office, Raikes Hall, South Shore Promenade Shelters, sundial. Click here
Page 6: St Johns, Synagogue, Tower, Town Hall, Walkers Hill Farmhouse, War Memorial, White Tower, Winter Gardens. Click Here
Grade 2* - Listed 26.01.1972
The theatre was designed for Thomas Sergenson by Frank Matcham, and built for £20,000 in just seven months between December 1893 and July 1894.
The three storey decorated stone corner entrance block rises to a domed roof of copper fishscale tiles surmounted by a cupola.
The auditorium, with three double-curved balconies, features plaster decoration in a very ornate Baroque style, painted white and gold.
The semi-circular proscenium arch is flanked by curved and decorated boxes.
The painted ceiling is surrounded by panels with painted portrait medallions and garlands, and two large chandeliers hang from heavily moulded circular bosses.
Church of the Holy Trinity
Grade 2* - Listed 20.10.1983
This present parish church of South Shore was designed by RK Freeman in 1878 and extended in 1894-5.
The building is in a free decorated Gothic style and construed in yellow stone dressings and slate roofs. The very high nave and chancel are under one pointed wooden tunnel roof, with small arches over side aisles.
The five level tower has a stone belfry with louvres and a battlement parapet.
The windows have curvilinear tracery in their heads and many have attractive stained glass (south transept glass by Shrigley and Hunt of Lancaster).
Grade 2 - Listed 20.10.1983
The four storey Central block (1866-7 by Clegg and Knowles of Manchester) and south wing (1875 by Manghall and Littlewood) are built in red brick with stone dressings and hipped slate roofs to a restrained French Renaissance style.
The later extension to the north (1904 by J.D.Broadbent) is in a free Baroque style with stone-coloured terracotta dressings and a large single storey pavilion projecting forward.
Former, King Edward Cinema
Grade 2 - Listed 20.10.1983
Recently in use as a bingo hall, the “Central Picture Theatre” was built in 1913, possibly one of the first purpose-built cinemas in Lancashire.
The symmetrical façade in Accrington brick features stone-coloured dressings, two bullseye windows, drum and ball finial and a red/white chequered gable bearing patterns in moulded terracotta.
The small foyer leads to a balconied auditorium with decorative mouldings to cornice, ceiling braces and seat ends. Exterior restored and interior much altered in conversion to “Village Pizzeria” in Spring 1986.
Now stands vacant and with door and windows boarded over.